Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Life Lessons behind Taylor Swift and Legally Blonde the Musical

"This chip on my shoulder makes me smarter and bolder. No more whining or blaming, I am reclaiming my pride. Grab that book and let's do this, instead of doodling hearts all through this. Now, there's a chip on my shoulder. Let's see him knock it aside." - Elle Woods, Legally Blonde the Musical.


"'Cause when you're fifteen and somebody tells you they love you
You're gonna believe them
And when you're fifteen, don't forget to look before you fall
I've found time can heal most anything
And you just might find who you're supposed to be
I didn't know who I was supposed to be at fifteen." - Taylor Swift, "Fifteen".



Life lessons behind country chick songs and a musical that surprises everyone. Who would have thought that Legally Blonde the Musical would have something to contribute to some of the most important life lessons in my personal life. This excerpt is from the song "Chip on My Shoulder." It's the self-motivating song that I use whenever I'm trying to work through studying or through a NYT report. 


When I begin to give up, I remember this line: "With the chance I've been given, I'm gonna be driven as hell. Though, I can't take the day off, I just think of the pay off. You need a chip on your shoulder, Little Miss Woods comma Elle!" This line is from the same song and Emmett sings it. It definitely gets me through whenever I think of my mom and dad giving me everything I need in order to get through college. I am forever grateful for the chance I've been given.


From the Taylor Swift, it applies to all girls and even some guys. We've all gone through that first heartbreak. And trust me, it sucks. But you have to keep going through life, but you do have to look before you fall. My friend, when she listens to this line, always says, rather loudly, "I thought I did!" I thought I looked too, but I can't thank God enough for being a divine sovereign God who doesn't let us fall too far. He will also point me in the direction that I need to go in order to find out who I'm supposed to be.


That line is also a very good line because we never know who we are at 15. We might think we know who we are, but we don't. I'm still trying to figure out who I am and I'm turning 19 in 23 days. I have a general idea of where I want to go and where I want to be in 4 years, but I don't know who I am or who I will be. College changes you. Believe me. I was not as extroverted in high school as I am now. Finding out who you are supposed to be takes more than high school and college. It might take my entire lifetime to figure out who I am as a person and who I want to be and who I want other people to see me as. But as long as I never forget Whose I am, I think life will be all right.


You helped me find my way
There's still so much to learn
So many dreams to earn
But even if I crash and burn ten times a day

I think I'm here to stay
I'm gonna find my way

-Elle Wood, Legally Blonde the Musical "Find My Way"

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post, brilliant thought, lots of prayers for you!! We miss you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For being so young, she sure has a lot of life insight.

    And I didn't know Legally Blonde was made into a musical?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, Legally Blonde is a musical. You can youtube the music. It's soooo funny. I think it is funnier than the movie.

    ReplyDelete