Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Best Day of my Life....so far! :-)

Thursday night, February 3, 2011 at 10 o'clock at night, snow fell down from the sky in Waco, Texas and actually stuck to the ground. Let's just say I was a little excited. Okay, that's the understatement of the year. I was very excited.

Friday, all day, February 4, 2011, I woke up to the text and email that school was canceled. I made plans with my friends to meet them for lunch and then took an hour nap. Saving my energy, that's how I put it. At 11 o'clock, I met all my friends for lunch at Brooks on the Baylor campus. It was the best. My guy friends, Charlie and Matt, asked me a question about what makes a man, besides the physicality aspect.

What makes a man a man is being a protector. Protector of his girl, his female friends, his family, his reputation, everything. That's what makes a man a man. Because I see it in all my guy friends and in my brother and my father. They all have this protective spirit that will go above and beyond to protect the ones that they care for. But it's a different sort of protector than the girls have. The girls have a protective motherly spirit which wishes to care for their loved ones when they are sick or hurting. Guys protect their loved ones from the bad men and bigger things than illness. That's what makes a man a man.

So after that deep conversation the whole group: Matt, Brett, Charlie, Davis, Cameron, my best friend, Kara, and myself all walked over to Collins Parking Garage where we proceeded to throw snow balls at one another. We were expecting several others: the 411 girls: Sarah, Caroline and Cassie, Matt's girlfriend: Laura, and my other guy friends: Andrew, Jerry, and Trent. My other best friend Jamie was coming too. It was going to be epic. The first group planned an ambush on the second group, unfortunately, it kinda backfired on us.

Anyways, my accomplishments that day were: whitewashing Brett "New England Style" (I learned best from my Uncle Vernon), several headshots on my guy friends (they were hard to get because they moved all the time) and whitewashing several other of my guy friends like Charlie, who I adopted as my "older brother", Matt, who's also like my brother, and my friend, Jerry. Okay, so I got all three a couple times. I couldn't really get Cameron, because he's so tall, but I did get him in the ear several times. He complained that I was the only one who got him in the ear. I highly doubt it.

So after we are all worn out from the snowball fight, we went back to our respective homes to dry off and reconvene to watch Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, one of my all time favorite movies/books. We watched it at my friend's, Jerry's house. To be totally honest, I nearly fell asleep because I was so tired from the epic snow ball fight. After eating at one of the best pizza places in Woodway, we went back and hung out at Jerry's place.

Jerry read to Matt and me the first chapter of this book that he's writing. It was very good. I was very impressed that there was that much feeling and pain just in those words. It made me want to cry. But I hate crying so I didn't end up crying. Plus I swore never to cry in front of my guy friends. One, it confuses them and they don't know what to do with it. Two, I hate crying in public because I hate appearing weak. I know, it's a fault of mine.

Then we went to a late showing of The King's Speech. The movie was amazing. It was well done, and the actors were brilliant. There was British humor, which is my favorite. British humor is dry and very very subtle, so you have to catch it the first time, or else you feel dumb when it's explained to you. But the movie was very good. Colin Firth did an amazing job, personifying the Duke of York, or King George VI. Geoffrey Rush was his speech therapist, Lionel, and Helena Bonham Carter as George VI's wife. It was absolutely fantastic and you should go see it.

After this long, wonderful day, I managed to climb the stairs of my dormitory and fall into bed, thinking of what time I had to be up before I had to be up for dance rehearsal for Baylor Dance Company ( which does not perform at Basketball games. That is the Baylor Dance Team, and it quite different. )

Thinking of Lord of the Rings, always makes me think of this quote by Samwise Gamgee. The character says this quote at the very end after the Ring is tossed into the fires of Mount Doom and all hope for the heroes seem lost because they are trapped in the fiery wasteland with no hope of escape.


"It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something... there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." ~Sam Gamgee

1 comment:

  1. Epic. (Sorry I didn't come to the snowball fight, I had lots of other things to do.)

    ReplyDelete