Thursday, May 10, 2012

School Pride...I Love My School!!!


Baylor University is a wonderful  university with a community for all kinds of students and for Anthropology majors like me. As a freshman, I came into Baylor not knowing what was going on. The Residential Community played an important part in making me feel right at home at Baylor. I moved into the Honors Residential College and immediately felt right at home. The Campus Living and Learning make it more comfortable and safe than I could ever have imagined. The transition to living at Baylor started when my family drove up in front of my dorm. Within five minutes of me being at Baylor, I met my roommate, and all my stuff that was packed was taken out of my car and taken up to my room. This is the beginning of Welcome Week at Baylor. The community at Baylor is eager to bring students into the community and feel at home. Baylor’s philosophy about student community is that community aids in a student’s ability to do well in classes. Baylor demonstrates this philosophy in every aspect from making room for more on-campus Residential Colleges to providing transportation to and from football games from campus to Floyd Casey Stadium.

The academics for Anthropology majors are very inspiring. There is no graduate department for Anthropology so all of the faculty members in the department are focused on the Anthropology students. The advisors work closely with the students and push students to experience hands on work in the field. The program Baylor has for Anthropology students will contribute to their career field by helping them get hands-on experience. Anthropology students are required by the university to do six hours of research or attend an outside field school for anthropology or archaeology. This part of the program ensures that the students have an adequate amount of field world under their belt before going off to graduate school for archaeology, or anthropology. The classes offered to Anthropology students incite hard work and individual research within the class with advising from the professor. In one class, Historical Archaeology, I participated in original research that is now an unpublished manuscript in the Texas Collection Library and in a field dig in Salado, Texas.

These things both offered at Baylor have made my life at Baylor amazing. I feel that Baylor’s community and academia has been both beneficial and preparatory for my career in Anthropology. These two things have shaped who I am personally and academically so that I can go on and have a great career in the field of my choice. I love Baylor for doing this for all of their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment