Friday, May 18, 2012

Moo, Moo, Moo, Moo!

Earlier this week, Monday, actually, my littlest sister, Bella, was auditioning for the show, Gypsy. The show is about the memoirs of Gypsy Rose Lee, a burlesque stripper, and the whole musical surrounds her life and her relationship with her mother, Rose. Bella was up for either a little girl in the chorus, or Baby June or Louise. So when I walked into the theatre, I was not expecting to try out. The director looks at me and says, "You are auditioning, right?" I looked at my calendar and said, "Why not?" My mom and I rushed home. I put on a dress and heels and ran back up to the theatre, searching for a song to audition with. I decided on Once Upon a December. Note: I have not auditioned in two years exactly. The last show I did was Light in the Piazza, beautiful show, if you haven't seen it or listened to it, do! It's amazing.

Anyways, I start getting those nervous jitters that I always get before auditions. Trying to breath and trying not to shake, it's probably one of the worst forms of torture there is. Bella gets up there and blows everyone away with her little song. Silently, in my head, I'm praying that Randy doesn't call me up next because following up that much cute in one person is just not fair. I haven't had that much cute since I was 8. Finally it's my turn. I try not to shake as I walk up the ramp to the stage.

I sing my song and the worst is over. The next step of the audition is dancing, which honestly is no problem whatsoever. I have danced since I was 5. I did choreography for the theatre before. This part was no problem at all. Needless to say, the director says, "Young girls and young women, if you can do the splits, try them at the end." Challenge accepted! Note: I haven't dance seriously in over a year. I am now sporting a bruise that could be described as rainbow on my knee. I had a ton of fun that night of auditions.

The next night, Tuesday, was the callback audition. This means we sing from the show and possibly read from the script. So far, I was content with just being in a show again. However, the further I progressed in the audition, the more I wanted to be one of the older versions of the daughter. I did not really care which one. With a mindset to have fun and do my best, I sang "If Momma was Married" and "Little Lamb." Then I was called up to read for the daughter parts.

Going home that night, I had no idea what I was gonna get. Content with being in the chorus, I went home for a cup of tea with my family and our friend, Cesara, who also auditioned for the part of Mama Rose. We were sitting around the kitchen, all on our various iPads, laptops, and smart-phones. :) Suddenly the cast list pops up on the Facebook group. Searching frantically for people we knew, we found that Bella got Baby June, Cesara got Mama Rose, and I got Dainty Louise....who later becomes Gypsy Rose Lee. :) Needless to say, I'm very excited for this show. I can't wait to work with the wonderful people in this cast and with Randy.

By the way, you should come see the show: Gypsy. It opens June 15th and runs through June 24th. It's going to be a blast. 28 days till opening night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment