Thursday, June 9, 2011

What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up!

When I ask kids that are about 5 years old, barely starting kindergarten, I get answers like "A fire-fighter!" "A princess!" "A ballerina!" "A superhero!" The list could go on forever. No little kid is going to say "Defense attorney" or "Librarian" or even "Psychologist."

Did the adults of my childhood stick with what they wanted to be when they began to grow up? Most certainly not. For myself, I changed my mind at least five different times and even then there is some variations of one job that I could choose a career from. However, I'm not finished growing up.

When I was 10, I wanted to be a veterinarian. That aspiration lasted about a year. I changed that aspiration to large animal vet like James Herriot, the famous large animal vet in England. That lasted about a year. The next thing I wanted to be was a defense attorney. I was 12 so I didn't exactly know what a defense attorney did. So then I changed my career aspiration again. This time I wanted to be a constitutional lawyer. That also lasted maybe about 6 months.

My last career aspiration was to be an archaeologist. I got the inspiration from Indiana Jones (I'm being honest.) Throughout high school, I focused on studying the classics in history, language, art, and culture. I studied Latin and Greek and my love of history blossomed. I'm going to be an archaeologist when I grow up...if I grow up. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment