Sunday, June 5, 2011

I wish I could Write Poetry

Of everything in the world, I wish I could write poetry. You know more than "I was a poet, And I didn't know it." Or something like that. I wish I could bring my thoughts together in some lyric iambic pentameter and create something that made sense to someone. My best friend is brilliant at creating poetry out of her head, pulling from her feelings and abstract thoughts that make perfect sense when they come onto the page (Trust me, I have a whole book full of her little couplets that she's written.) I'm not. Another of my friends is writing a story of a man who is pulled into an unbelievable world. He's able to bring in imagination and combine it with philosophy, cheesy science-fiction references, and logic, that seems almost like something from a Lewis Carroll novel or from that movie The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

I can't seem to bring my mind to think outside the box. When I write, I seem to fashion a character, who seems to closely resemble me, either in the appearance I write or the personality that I assigned to them, mannerisms that make their ways from my mind to my pen (or fingertips) to the page. Somehow I cannot escape from writing somewhat biographically. It is a vulnerable position because I am in a position to be judged by how I interpret events when I put them down on the page.

If any of my readers have any ideas on how to think outside the box and create something like a Lewis Carroll or a Brian Jacques book, email me. :-) It is one of my goals to become somewhat creative with a pen and not just able to write feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment