Friday, June 3, 2011

Family

What is a family? Technically (anthropologically) the word "family" is defined as "families are universal in cultures, but their definition and dynamics are changing. A very inclusive definition is two or more people who define themselves as a family. Also see "extended family," "nuclear family,"" (http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth370/gloss.html#E). More specifically, a "nuclear family" is "a woman and/or husband and dependent children" (http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/anth370/gloss.html#M). An "extended family" includes relations on either side of the parents. The dictionary definition of family is "a basic social unit consisting of parents and their children, considered as a group, whether dwellingtogether or not: the traditional family." (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/family).


So that's the technical side of that word. The other side is more emotional.


Over the past year, I spent my days at Baylor University. The school is about an hour and a half away from my hometown. Being away from my family was rough. I had to get used to being on my own and then get used to going back into the family unit. My family is not just a unit. My family is my family. 


Now everyone says that, but what is cool about my family is that when we sit down for a family dinner, it is one of the noisiest occasions I have ever attended. We laugh at one another for silly quotes. We catch up on everyone's day. We discuss different aspects of our world (culture, especially...we all do musical theatre :) except my brother.) But I get this feeling every time I looked around the table that each one of us would stand up for one another if anyone tried to bash one of our own.


I thought about this while I was watching an NCIS episode titled "Twisted Sister." In this episode Special Agent Tim McGee goes above and beyond all protocol in order to prove his sister is not guilty and protect her integrity as a person. He stands up to the director of NCIS and says" Forgive me Director, for not putting the integrity of NCIS before my sister! (he pulls out his badge and gun and puts them on the table) It won't happen again. (he walks out)" (http://www.tv.com/ncis/twisted-sister/episode/891543/trivia.html). It is important for me to put my family before everything material in my life, except my faith. For me, the important things in life are my faith and my family.


Some of you who know me well are probably thinking "Why is she posting about her family?" "We already know her family's important to her." There is another family that is important me. My church family. Here is just one example of how great the Family of God has blessed my own family.


Today, my mom had surgery. She had a laparoscopic surgery and a biopsy on something in her abdomen that shouldn't be there. My mom had awful abdominal pains for the past couple weeks. The surgery was to make sure that whatever was in her abdomen was not cancerous. Now my mother is superwoman. ;-) at least, she is in my eyes. But surgeries make her nervous and the anesthesia makes her feel sick. However, today my God proved that He is a mighty God in that he was gracious towards my mum. The surgery went well and my mom is walking around and not feeling sick at all from the anesthesia. 


When my mom got home, my siblings swarmed around her asking all the questions "Are you all right? How was the surgery? How do you feel? Were you okay in surgery?" My family rallied around her. We stick together. We look out for our own. 


But it's not just our single family unity that blows my mind. The Family of God, his Church blows my mind. My mom said on the phone to one of her friends this evening that when the Body of Christ prays, powerful things happen. Today a powerful thing happened. My mom has been able to walk around and to eat a smoothie not even a day out of surgery. Thank you all for praying for my family. There is a power in prayer. There is also a power in the prayer of God's people. God listened to the prayers of his people and was gracious to my mom in her time of need. Thank you all for praying for my mom. I can not tell you how much it means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment