Thursday, March 17, 2011

Words

I like to have conversations. Yes, I actually do. But recently, I've been somewhat on the backseat of making conversations. I have conversations, but I don't make an effort to start one. This made me realize something. The impact of just saying hi and starting a conversation with someone can totally alter their day. How? By showing that you care for someone so much that you say hi and ask how their day is going.

I also realized that sometimes I have to do that to. I have to reach out to people and tell them hi and ask how their day is going. I was talking to my friend, Danielle, last night of how I realized last night how much words can impact a person. One of our mutual friends, Jerry, spoke at RUF last night. So Danielle and I went up to him and told him that he did a really good job for his first time preaching. I could see in his face how much he appreciated those words of encouragement.

Words can be encouraging, but they can also tear down just as much as they can uplift. Sarcasm can be taken in the wrong way, and gossip can tear down someone without them knowing, but in the eyes of others. Since coming to college, I have come to realize the double edged sword I wield, that everyone wields, is very temperamental, causing harm or uplifting attitudes at any given moment.

My decision is to listen carefully to what I am saying when I talk with my friends. I hope that my words will uplift them and not tear them down, that I might be able to verbally support them in everything they do and use my verbal skills to confront them when it is absolutely necessary. Hopefully, I will be able to accomplish this.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Poppa always says "words have meaning"
    I think sometimes we have to really think because what we mean to say it not how it might be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And not to be redundant, but words are my favorite gift. Especially words from you, LRL.

    ReplyDelete